Happy Birthday, Mom!
20 of the Many Reasons why Mom rules (in random order):
1. She always picks up the phone.
2. She offers sound advice.
3. She knows just as much about medications as any medical professional / pharmacist.
4. She is such a devoted grandmother.
5. She lovingly many years to taking care of her mother, which was a full time job.
6. She is an unwavering wife.
7. For many years, she was a federal judge and took our classes on field trips to the courthouse and jail. She was one of the few mothers I knew who worked outside the home when we were growing up.
8. Even while she was working outside the home, she was such a present mom.
9. She eventually “retired” from the bench to stay home with us when we were navigating junior high and high school.
10. She sends us relevant newspaper and magazine clippings, and email forwards, on topics ranging from infant and pet safety to Houston restaurants to motherhood.
11. She has very high standards for thank you notes and taught us how to write genuine and lengthy ones.
12. She could be a professional wedding planner, specializing in Birmingham and Highlands/Cashiers weddings and parties.
13. She has always given us Valentine’s Day gifts.
14. She sends lots of care packages for no reason at all.
15. She is just the best at rocking crying babies. (Pictured here, her latest trick with then 3 month old E, putting him on her knees and bouncing him to sleep…we started calling this “B’s knees.”)
16. She will drop everything and come help us when we need her.
17. She’s very stylish and the ultimate shopping companion.
18. She loves and dotes on our dogs.
19. She makes friends everywhere she goes–she texts her favorite restaurant owners for reservations and refers to specific waiters and waitresses as “like a son/daughter to us.” This familiarity extends to customer service representatives, store managers and many others around town.
20. She is the ultimate servant and giver to her family, and all those who have become “like family” to us.
We love you, Mom / B!!!